Wednesday, January 21, 2009

SUN ONLINE ACCOUNT Identity Management Stinks

I am currently testing the openinfocard identity selector with Firefox 3.1 beta 2.
Well, this does not look good.

The color/layout of the xmldap relyingparty is "different" to the Firefox 3.0.5 look.
The fonts look strange.
The layout of the claims in the openinfocard CardManager window is completely disastrous.
The generation of self-issued security tokens through Java does not work. No error message - just nothing happening. This is what I like.

wrong layout and wrong colors and rotten fonts

As a good member of the Sun / Mozilla developer community I searched SUN's bug database for something related.
The bug (6745455) "Firefox extensions using Java don't work with new Java Plug-In" looks interesting. BUT you need an account to see this! What is this? Still quite cool at this point. So I tried my SunSolve account to login but the contract seems to be expired. Next I tried my SUN Developer Network account but still no access to this bug. Well SUN Online is offering me to register for a SUN ONLINE ACCOUNT. Pseudonyms are cheap. Tried this, verified my email address, relogin, BUT still no access to this bug.
This stinks!
Now I have three SUN accounts. The first two because years ago SUN was not able to merge the two and after SUN forced me to create the second after they tried to consolidate their user databases (but failed). What's more: I can not find the button/link to terminate/delete the new account. Super.

So much for that. I will pester my SUN contact with the java plugin2 error now.
Thank you SUN for wasting my time.

The bug:
if you enter
"Components.classes["@mozilla.org/oji/jvm-mgr;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIJVMManager)"
into the command line of the Firefox console then Firefox 3.0.5 returns
"[xpconnect wrapped nsIJVMManager]" while Firefox 3.1 beta 2 returns "Fehler: Component returned failure code: 0x80570018 (NS_ERROR_XPC_BAD_IID) [nsIJSCID.getService]
Quelldatei: javascript:%20Components.classes["@mozilla.org/oji/jvm-mgr;1"].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIJVMManager)
Zeile: 1"
. My guess is that this is an easy test for the bug that causes openinfocard to stop working with FF3.1b2. Maybe this is easy to fix in the openinfocard extension. I guess that OJI support is dying, but what is the new call to get the Java console?

No comments: